Accidental Photographer

Hello, My name is Artis Columbus Duncan Jr., but people usually call me by “AeeJay” A.J. short for Artis Junior. That was the distinctive way of people distinguishing who they were referring to when calling my father or me for our attention. Life as I know it has been very colorful and full of unique experiences. Traveling many places throughout the years with many great experiences, adventures, and memories. The many life experiences over the years have formed me into the vibrant person I am today. The journey all begins from the great State of Arkansas.

The beginning for me began in Conway, Arkansas, in the great year of 1973. The early years of my life were bland with basic schooling, family, friends, outside activities, and church. The beginning of my journey truly begins after my graduation from Sylvan Hills High School, located in Sherwood, AR, on May 25, 1991. The excitement begins May 30, 1991, with my enlistment into the United States Army. Fort Knox, KY, was where I attended and graduated from basic training and Advanced Individual training on Sep 20, 1991. The initial shock of Army life was very perplexed and mystifying during the first few weeks. The first time being away from home and not knowing anyone was sensational and fraught. After finally bonding and getting to know all the other new recruits, my universe changed. The lifelong bond of being Friends, Brothers, Battle Buddies, or Comrades was cemented in stone. The hard times and fun times alike were many and never forgotten.

After a 24-year military career that gave me many great experiences to document and remember. I learned some important life lessons over two decades in uniform. The military experiences while serving allowed me to travel all over the world. The experiences from traveling to many locations while in the military-led me to photography. Capturing and chronicling my time traveling with photos allows me to share my experiences visually. The locations and places traveled were not always the most appealing but worth remembering. The operational deployments to hazardous locations still allowed precious moments to capture photography. The photos taken during my time in the military brought back many memories so distinctly.

After retiring from the military I enrolled into Austin Community College “ACC” The major chosen by me upon my initial enrollment was Physical Therapist Assistant. During the first semester, my wife brought me a Canon camera to capture our family vacation to Canada. The camera wasn’t anything like my classic point and shoot camera used before. The camera contained many buttons and menus that it left me flabbergasted. After missing many memories, trying to learn how to use the camera while vacationing. That’s when I took a Fundamental of Photography course through ACC. During the photography course, I became obsessed with photography after learning the proper methods and approach for better photography. That’s when I made my decision to change my major to Professional Portrait and Wedding Photography. The photos taken became more remarkable with experience and the rest is history.

After earning my degree in Professional Photography, I became a freelance photographer taking photos in many categories. The primary categories I enjoy are landscape, aerial, sports, Portraits, fashion, and Portraiture. The journey of photography has been a gratifying experience that sees the world through a lens. Helping others make beautiful moments brings jubilation to my life. The continuing experience in photography has allowed me to meet many people along the way. The addition of the camera to my life has been very rewarding.